2010 is the year of films. I suspect 2011 to be not as bad, but probably on par, with 2010.
- A rag tag gang of military men, nurse, spies, scientist, token kid and a Japanese joshikousei forms the gang of protagonists in the SF survival flick King of Thorn.
- Join Shinko and Kiiko in their childhood fantasy of a rural Japan, with magic that takes you back even further, 1000 years ago, in this Ghibli-esqe tale of friends, growing up, and coping with the rapidly changing world in Mai Mai Miracle.
- It’s Alice in Wonderland, except it’s the littlest penguin otaku known to man and a goblin named Chaley. This time the cute little girl has to save Chaley’s friends from the bully in the mysterious world, to fulfill the prophecy in Yona Yona Penguin.
- High schooler Haruka falls into a similar rabbit hole and finds herself in the island of forgotten trash, and saves its population fromÂ exploitationÂ in the story of Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror.
- It’s called Redline because it’s fast as hell.
- The Celestial Beings reveal their origin in the return of Gundam 00 in the Gundam 00: The Movie.
- Tow Ubukata’s masterpiece, now in part one of three animated feature films: Mardock Scramble: The First Compression. Megumi Hayashibara returns as the protagonist in this adaptation of the namesake award-winning novel about all that 80s cyberpunk goodness.
- Vash trashes up the badlands again in Trigun: Badland Rumble. The whole cast is back!
- Does seeing Saber sick and heavy while wearing a pretty little dress get you excited? Then get to the theaters for Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, the animated adaptation of the most exciting and inspirational saga in the Fate/stay Night storyline. Spoilers: let there be dolphins.
- Join Alto, Ranka and Sheryl in the first (and soon second!) part of the theatrical retelling of Macross Frontier: The False Songstress.
- The world without Haruhi is one that is calm, peaceful, and full of collarbones. Find out why in TheÂ DisappearanceÂ of Haruhi Suzumiya.
- Learn to make friends with the friendliest little girl by seeing her in action in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: the Movie. See Nanoha and her magical ferret Yuuno make their first friend, complete with full body transformation scenes and over nine thousand in power levels. Learn the reason why fans call her the White Devil.
- It’s called Strong World because the critters are hella strong! See Luffy and the Straw Hats in their latest high-budget bind as they rescue their navigator in a pinch in One Piece: Strong World!
- She may eat books, but she is the nicest girl you know. Find out how this mysterious being saves a girl from her self-destructive ways in Bungaku Shoujo: the Movie, the theatrical animation adaptation from the same-titled light novel series.
- Catch the exciting finale to the Noblesse Game in the two-part theatrical continuation of Eden of the East: The King of Eden and Paradise Lost.
- Do you enjoy the Time of Eve? If you do, definitely check out Nagi’s coffee house now in its theatrical rendition, with over 12 minutes of new animation in The Time of Eve the Movie.
Damn, that’s a lot of movies. And damn, I’ve seen too many of them.