This morning I woke up to the news about how AnimeJapan is trying to pitch to a billion different IPs and attract 100ks of visitors. And that is well. I mean putting aside the splinter years of ACE and all that dark history, I think when cons like JX and AX have 100k+ of visitors (turnstile), while Japan doesn’t quite have a con like that (ie., Comiket is not like that), it’s sort of an industry pride issue. I mean, they’re calling it “AnimeJapan” and that can’t be more obvious. AnimeUSA peeps should be like, hur hur hur.
You know they mean business when one slide says basically this:
I think they’ll hit their 100k count handily. I just hope AnimeJapan retain ACE’s liberal policy of region-free live streams.
But forget about that. I want to write a real life tourism plug for Japan for February 2014. Why? Here’s the list of things I personally want to see (of varying amount of interests, granted):
- Sapporo Snow Festival/Snow Miku Feestival (Feb. 5-11)
- Yui Horie’s next live (touring)
- Love Live @ SSA
- Ray is touring
- KOTOKO is touring
- Mingosu is touring
- There’s a full-blown Uchoten Kazoku event (fhana!!) (I even could have applied for a ticket w)
- iM@S @SSA (but you know this)
- …there’s a MariIro event? LOL
- ChanYui “Charming Do” promo meet&greets
- FictionJunction YUUKA lives (with other FJs), and later individual lives for her and Kajiura teams in Feb.
- Sumipe event
- Yanagi Nagi live event (FFFFFFFFFFF can’t go, conflicts orz)
- JAM Project is touring
- Sakura Taisen Paris team kayo show (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I would totally go to this if I can get tickets) (Aipon is even in this) (Feb. 13-16)
- Sphere 5th anniversary events
- May’n is touring
- Aoi Eir is touring
- Yukarin is touring (with 2-day SSA live)
- Milk Lariat 6S (lots o anime idols)
- Yuki Aoi commemorative event
- Junko Iwao birthday live
- Chiaki Ishikawa concert
- Nakagawa Kanon live (Kaminomi event)
- Sakakibara Yui live
- Steins;Gate events
- ….And a lot more I didn’t list.
Despite being the shortest month of the year, February 2014 has way too many good events. And I’m not even listing things like movie screenings (Mouretsu Pirates!) plus not even everything has been announced yet. Granted on a typical month, there are a ton of events going on at any given week, but this is just crazy.
If you had to go to Japan for events, this month is it! Really, I mean, it has something for everybody. And a lot of something for a select group.