If you have any feedback about what I’m writing below, please leave a comment. I am curious as to if this is a concept worth exploring in a panel format (at say, a convention). It’s not like I’m running a panel or anything (yet), but it always sort of sat somewhere in my mind after listening to a couple of them last year and the year before.
If I stole all of Happy Soda’s choice shots and put it on a nice slideshow and ran it for 30 minutes, would that make it an entertaining panel at a con?
- Alternatively, if I stole some of Happy Soda’s choice figures and put it in a nice gallery (possible hands-on!), would that make it an entertaining panel at a con? How about both?
- Would the slideshow go better with music?
- If the slideshow played in the background for 30 minutes, in which during that period three dudes were talking about figures, would you pay attention to the dudes (probably not)? What do you think these dudes should be saying to catch your attention?
What kind of people would go to a figure panel? Collectors? Would-be-collectors? Random people who are wondering what is up? Photogs? Gunpla peeps? Toy people (in general)? People with a couple figures? People with a couple hundred of them?
- How many different types of collectors are there? Would it be useful (I think so) to storyboard your common figure buyer/collector types?
- Critiques of different types?
- Why do we do it? Little plastic wimmens swimmins? Little plastic dudes dancing?
Is it more useful to describe how people “interact” in figure collecting? What are commonly the things to do? How do you find the right place to hang out on the internet, so to speak?
- A list of links? Forums?
- Blogs? Making one? Reading one?
- MyFigureCollection.net and like?
- How to spend your money, ie., follow all the figure news and PR? You don’t need help for that I’m sure.
Photography? Figure scene is vibrant with the photos of figures. They are the loudest.
- Should we steal Super Rats too? Or at least, his blog posts?
- Are there anyone else we should be ste–, er, learning from?
Buy & Sell? Do we need panel speak on those (I’m leaning towards yes)?
- Domestic? Import? Price discrimination? Wholesale?
- Used? Budget?
History? Did anyone collected anime figs in the 90s? Up to the PVC boom? Do you even care about what happened in the scene before 2007? Are you Patrick Macias?
Figure care? How to clean figures? How to put together a Detolf? Fight lean? Is this something obvious or worth talking about?
Help me out guys. If any of the questions I raised sounds interesting, or is something you’d like hear answered, let me know.